VW Love and Reductive

Love those VWs

Printmaking Demo

Fun time in Printmaking this semester. I knew about “reductive emulsion” (not emotion) screen printing but I had never tried it. Thought I’d give it a whirl. Frankly, I could also see that some of the “gang of 10” thought in a reductive manner. In other words – they could plan ahead in a printing process without the need for creating an entirely new block or screen.

Essentially with reductive emulsion screen printing, you start with an open, clean screen and use tape as a border or margin – [thinking about it now and for the next time, I would use emulsion, brushed on as a border.] Since the emulsion is light sensitive and the exposure to light hardens it – that would be an effective “block out” border.

I started with my image and used Illustrator to break the full color image into 4 shades of grey. I laid the printout under the screen and used the emulsion and a brush to paint on to the screen. The first painting of emulsion is the WHITE or the color of the paper. Then I let it dry and printed the YELLOW ink.

The biggest pain about screen printing [well, any printmaking] is the clean-up – So I cleaned up the YELLOW ink, washed it out of the screen but left the emulsion in the screen. Then using the emulsion I painted it on the screen and let it dry. The areas that I painted with the emulsion are where the YELLOW stayed. Otherwise when I printed the RED, the RED overprinted on the yellow .

After the RED was printed, I decided to run a gray-green and hoped that it would be enough contrast in value that the image would hold together with out and additional run of a gray/green black. I decided that it works and called it done.

I’m looking forward to exploring this reductive emulsion screen printing method further.

Teaching and Letting Be


One of the balancing acts in teaching is explaining, demonstrating, talking and shutting up and getting out the way. Sometimes the best thing, especially at this point of the semester is to be present, be a resource, and even act as a sous-chef.

That’s what happened with Printmaking this week.

The mystery of registration was unveiled.

And then in Drawing Studio, the students got to explore a material that appeals to their comfort level with graphite and also adds in the option of a water wash. For 2 hours the students worked. Trying this, trying that – walking around and seeing what their neighbors were trying – not judging – just doing.

I tried to not pester. The best thing I could do was to settle down and draw with them. Explore the medium of aqueous graphite – and play. So I did and I thing the students enjoyed stopping by to see where my thoughts and marks were taking me. These 2 images are from a much larger sheet of paper (24X36) and I think hold promise.

Crows and pearls –